Thursday, July 31, 2014

Our Updates

First I'm so sorry for abandoning my blog for so long. The truth is that I got overwhelmed with our BIG move and the care for my children so I hope to update as much as I can and to move forward with a more regular blog.

First in Feb we started having issues with the class Gracie attends. Her teacher approached me and mentioned that Gracie might have a UTI since she was pulling at the vaginal area and whining. I dismissed the teachers concerns due to the absence of pain ques and that Gracie often whines and pulls at the vaginal area. Well about a day or so later a social worker for CPS showed up at my door with a report Gracie had an untreated UTI.  Thankfully the social worker was kind and professional, and a quick trip to the doctor ruled out any UTI and she closed the case. I was upset at the teacher but decided to move past it.

In March Gracie came home from school with a mystery bruise on her upper inner thigh. I assumed she had been climbing at school and fell. I was not concerned about the bruise. However again the teacher approached me and asked about the bruise. I told her that I had no idea where it came from (remember Gracie is non verbal and has a very high pain tolerance).  Once again a social worker showed up on my doorstep (why do they always come when the house is a mess?). Once again we went to the doctor who did not find the bruise concerning.  However at that point I lost faith in the teacher and I pulled Gracie from school. 

At the end of April we moved to Salt Lake City in our planned move. Both Ray (my husband) and I are from Salt Lake. While we were heartbroken about moving away from half our blended family we felt that we had to move to get the right resources for our children.  Happily both girls adjusted quickly to the move and love their family here in Utah.

In May we got the news that we were expecting. Elizabeth was diganoised with Autism Spectrum Disorder. It was both heartbreaking and relieving to know that Elizabeth is also Autistic. I was heartbroken that I will never have a "typical" parenting experence but I was relieved that we had answers and could move forward with her treatment. 

Elizabeth has also been accepted into the same Autism specific school that Gracie will be attending. I was lucky to get them both in and I am excited at possibilities that exist at that school

Since May we have been enjoying our summer and eagerly awaiting the start of school.

No comments:

Post a Comment