Thursday, August 9, 2012

Sick Kids!

Gracie woke up yesterday running a fever and acting lethargic and my heart sank. Having a sick kid is hard, but having a sick Autistic kid is even harder. I have no idea if anything hurts, I'm not even sure she knows as I suspect Gracie is hyposenstive to pain. It could be an ear infection or just an average virus. Of course the worst ran through my head. I suspected strep throat, ear infections, even UTIs. All the common aliments that my friends complain about.

I feel bad because Gracie is almost never sick, In fact she's the second healthiest kid I know beat only by her sister. I almost don't know how to care for a sick child since my own children are so rarely sick. I didn't remember how often to push fluids or if you take a child's temperature under their arm if you add a degree or subtract one.

I called the nurse praying that I didn't have to take her in. Going to the doctor is a very traumatic experience. Gracie HATES to be touched, and  it will cause a major meltdown. By major meltdown I mean inconsolable screaming, hitting anyone who touches her, and throwing things. I'm not even sure a doctor would be able to get close enough to examine her without Gracie being physically restrained.

The nurse finally called me back and after reviewing everything we decided to wait 3 days and to reevaluate. Thankfully Gracie's fever broke this afternoon and she's acting normal or at least as normal as she can. I am however dreading her 4 year well child checkup at the end of the month.

No comments:

Post a Comment