Tuesday, January 7, 2014

My Doctor Who Obsession and How it Relates to Gracie's Autism

As most of my friends know I am a huge Whovian. For those who don't know what that is it's a fan of the British science fiction show Doctor Who.

A note for those unfamiliar with Doctor Who, it's a tv show that premiered in 1963 about an alien called The Doctor who travels through all of time and space in his ship called a TARDIS which is stuck in the shape of a blue police box from the 1960s. He brings "companions" which are people he meets and invites on his travels. When is race is faced with death they can regenerate, which means he can change every cell in his body which means he literally turns into a different man.

 

I didn't start watching until March of 2013, but I was hooked. Some of you might wonder why I'm writing about science fiction on an Autism blog. Well it's because it's my escape. For an hour I am traveling through time and space having adventures, meeting new creatures like talking trees and trying to figure out the mysteries of the universe.

For a little while no one is Autistic, and problems don't have to do with smeared poop or meltdowns or being up at 2 am. The problems are greater yet smaller, yes the Earth might be invaded but The Doctor and his friends will save the planet.




It's also nice to have one hobby that doesn't have to do with Autism or with Gracie. I'm not limited by not being able to go out, spending most of our money on Autism related things, or having to find childcare. Being a Whovian is as simple as pushing play on Netflix or reading a novel. No one cares I'm 30 something mom who mostly lives in PJ pants and oversized tee shirts. I'm just another fangirl.

I think everyone should have their own Doctor Who, but especially parents of speical needs children. Please for your own sake find a little escape, something that doesn't involve your child or your advocacy.

No comments:

Post a Comment