Thursday, January 2, 2014

New Years Resolutions

With New Years here and  and everyone making resolutions I thought I would make a few of my own. I have the usual ones of losing weight, saving money, and being a better house keeper. I thought I would share my Autism related resolutions.

1. I resolve to try to enter Gracie's world more, and leave mine behind more. Instead of trying to get Gracie to do typical things. Instead of trying to get her to give her sister a hug, or to stop putting everything in her mouth, this year I resolve to spin in circles with her, I resolve to stand on my head and to watch the cats out the window, I resolve to eat a bowl full of tarter sauce.

2. I resolve to stop comparing Gracie to typical children. Gracie has never been typical to me, she has been amazing, speical, and my greatest achievement and challenge but never just typical. I need to remember that doesn't change because she is on the spectrum. She is still my sweet, funny and beautiful daughter.

3. I resolve to pay less attention to the evaluations. They only tell me what silly skills she hasn't mastered. I really don't care that Gracie can't string beads or sort colors. They never talk about her easy laugh or bright smile. They never talk about how she loves to cuddle, or how she asks for kisses by pressing her cheek to your lips. I would much rather have a child that snuggles with me than one who can string a reckless.

4. I resolve to never give up. I know that no matter how low functioning Gracie is that she can and does learn new skills. She may never be verbal but we WILL find a way to communicate. We might exchange pictures or sign but I know there's a whole world inside her head that she wants to share. I resolve to help her find it.

5. I resolve to continue on my mission of Autism advocacy, awareness and education. I am the only voice my daughter has and I resolve to make it count.

No comments:

Post a Comment