Thursday, July 26, 2012

Our blended family

This picture was taken in July 2009. Pictured are me, Ray (my husband and Gracie's father), The mother of Gracie's older brothers, Alaric (oldest brother), Gracie at 10 months, and Adam (youngest brother)

A big part of our journey through Autism is our family. We are a blended family, my husband was married before me and has two wonderful sons from that marriage. I am truly blessed to be a part of their lives and to know such fine young men. Gracie's older brothers are also her favorite people and biggest cheerleaders. She is so much more engaged and giggly when they are here.

It breaks by heart that by moving for better education she will be separated from her brothers, but also from their mother. People look at me strange when I explain my great admiration for my husband's ex wife and how she is part of our family. If Gracie could talk she would call her Aunt Tamra as a sign of respect and affection for this woman who is a part of our family but sadly there is no good term for your half siblings' mother. I am very blessed that with visits and lots of skype I hope we can stay close.


Gracie also has a younger sister, who is 26 months younger. Gracie doesn't acknowledge her sister as much but Elizabeth finds a way to engage usually be taking a toy or trying to push her sister around. I hope in time that they will become friends.

1 comment: